At my last doctor’s appointment, we discussed my last delivery via cesarean section and decided to plan on this delivery to be a repeat c/s. For the most part, I'm okay with this. I really don't have a choice since it very unlikely that I would even be able to successfully deliver vaginally. We found out through X-rays taken 9 months after Ellie was born (for reasons that had nothing to do with the delivery) that I have a very small pelvis and that it would not likely fit a baby through it. The Orthopedic Surgeon did tell me I should get my
I was actually grateful when the doctor called for a c/s. I was absolutely exhausted and was worried about the baby and more than ready to meet her. Ellie came out perfect and healthy and I even have some really amazing pictures of the actual birth since my step-mother (a surgery nurse) and sister-in-law (an
1) I don't feel like I "officially" gave or get to give birth. Almost like there is some kind of membership card you get when you actually push a baby out.
2) I think a lot of people who delivered the "normal" way think I did it the "easy" way. In actuality, my epidural wore off when I was 5 centimeters so I did get to experience quite a bit of pain! Not to mention the pain of recovering from surgery.
3) It kind of stinks that I am the one choosing this next baby's birthday instead of the baby (unless it comes before 38 weeks which I hope is not the case). There is something I have romanticized in my head about going into labor on my own and nudging the hubby awake and telling him "honey...it's time...". With my last labor induced and this one scheduled, I will most likely never experience that.
4) With my last c/s I didn't even get to see my baby until 2 hours after delivery, let alone nurse right away. This was the most upsetting thing to me about having a c/s. My new doctor (we have moved to bigger city since then) has assured me that this time, the baby will be in the recovery room with me and I will be able to nurse then...but still not likely in the delivery room.
The good things, though, about this next planned one...
1) I don't have to make the choice about VBAC, a very tough and emotional decision for a lot of women with a previous c/s.
2) Despite not wanting to pick my baby's birthday, knowing when I will deliver definitely helps with the planning for who will take care of Ellie when I am in the hospital.
3) Even though I would like go into labor on my own, knowing that this time there will be no pain leading up to surgery is kind of refreshing.
4) I'm a lot more prepared for what to expect, contrary to last time when I read tons of books but always skipped over the cesarean chapters vowing that it would "never happen to me".
And of course, the best thing of all... I get to have (God willing) yet another perfect, beautiful, healthy baby...so who cares how it comes out! I am so fortunate that I was even able to conceive again and (God willing again) carry this baby to term. It is not how you deliver that makes you a mother, it's the love you have for that amazing little human being. Nothing can take that away. A stork could have shown up and dropped off Ellie in our yard and I wouldn't be any less of a mother to her. I love her more than anything. You have to do what's best for your baby and, in my case (and in the next one), a cesarean is the way to go. I think sharing this has helped me get over my mixed feelings and just realize how darn blessed I am... There's going to be another baby to share that love with soon! Thanks for listening...
DIY Wood Porch Planters
6 years ago



3 comments:
Wow...I didn't realize you felt some of those things, but having a c/s I totally understand too! Granted, I had Leon here in Indianapolis, but if he wouldn't had to have had surgery, I would have been able to keep him with me in the recovery room and tried to nurse. As soon as the surgery was done, I was immediately taken to the Recovery Room. Granted, at 6a.m. not many "planned" people were there! I do know what it's like to go into labor, but not the vaginal delivery part. My mom never progressed kind of like you, but I don't know if it had anything to do with a small pelvis. I guess we'll see on baby # 2. As far as I know my ob does do VBAC's so we'll see what happens when we start trying for baby # 2.
Congratulations on your new pregnancy. I will be sure to keep following up (although I'm not to great at keeping my own up to date these days!). Looks like it's time for #2, I'd already be there if I could and hopefully just a couple more months to wait! Congratulations again, and I can't wait to read more.
Thank you so much for sharing this. I am still trying to formulate and process my thoughts on our decision to do a repeat c/s this time, and it really helps and encourages me to have read this. I identify perfectly with all you said.
Megan
Post a Comment